Brown and McMath shine as Rovers make it 3 in a row

Peebles Rovers 3 Arniston Rangers 0

Peebles Rovers continued their recent run of form with an emphatic win at home to Arniston Rangers. Only a month ago, Rovers found themselves on the wrong end of a 3-0 scoreline in Gorebridge and in truth they should really have more than reversed the result on Saturday.

The home side started on the front foot although it took almost quarter of an hour to really trouble the Arniston goal when a David Lindsay free kick was turned round the near post by the ‘keeper. From the resultant corner, Gregor Lamb’s effort was cleared off the line and as he followed up he was bundled over for what looked like a certain penalty. The referee took a different view however and Lamb was bizarrely yellow carded for diving.

Five minutes later, a well-placed Grant Wilson free kick was heading for the bottom corner but was deflected over the bar by Lindsay from close range. In a rare attack, Arniston went straight up the other end and almost punished Rovers but the back post header from a fine cross was misplaced. Just before the half-hour mark, Lindsay had another effort well saved after a lovely through ball from James Dodds. As half time approached, Lamb skipped through a couple of challenges on the edge of the area but his shot went narrowly past the post.

Rovers were straight back on the attack in the second half and had another penalty claim waived aside as Lamb was once again upended in the area. The pressure finally paid off on 59 minutes though after Wilson found Mikey McEwan in space and his cross broke to Lindsay who made no mistake from close range.

For ten minutes after the goal, Rovers seemed to get a little nervy but there was little threat from Arniston and it came as no surprise when the home side doubled their lead. Ben Brown, who along with Alan McMath was rock solid in defence all day, broke forward and played in Wilson who drove into the box and his cut back was turned into his own net by a desperate defender.

Cameron Sclater could have extended the lead with just over ten minutes to play but the ‘keeper was quick off his line to turn the shot away. There was a final throw of the dice from Arniston as they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area but the effort was parried away to safety by Tom Kerr. On 88 minutes, Rovers completed the scoring when Wilson again turned provider and Lindsay doubled his tally with a cool finish.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *