Burntisland 4-0 Peebles Rovers

PEEBLES Rovers’ top-six hopes were dealt a serious blow as Burntisland Shipyard sinked them in a humiliating afternoon in Fife.

Rovers and Shippy limped onwards to half-time after a drab 45 minutes.

But the floodgates exploded in the second-half as Shipyard pummelled Peebles into submission.

At the heart of what was a tough afternoon, discipline was what let Ger Rossi’s side down. Donovan Ndiweni was handed his marching orders in the second-half for a poor tackle.

This was something that Burntisland capitalised on with ruthless efficiency.

The game was played in glorious warm sunshine, and Peebles almost got off to a red-hot start as Alan McMath cracked the post with twenty seconds on the clock.

Rovers had their best spell of the match in those opening ten minutes, McMath flying about with ruthless efficiency.

Gregor Lamb, a bright spot on a difficult day, played in McMath with a beautifully weighted through ball – but McMath was crowded out by Dean and Craig Anderson.

From there on, the game descended into a bland affair. Both sides kept their shape, but lacked the intensity and penetration to take the initiative.

The second-half was where the game sparked into life.

Emerging from the dressing-room like a team reborn, Burntisland looked quick and inventive as they rampaged forward.

It was the Galloway twins of Jordan and Johnny who did the damage in the 47th minute – as Johnny crossed for Jordan to knock the ball home at the back post.

The Shipyard doubled their lead five minutes later with Johnny Galloway getting the assist again as he headed the ball back across the six-yard line, with Powrie on hand to nod the ball home.

Grant Brough’s side were in full swing and soon went three up in the 62nd minute as Powrie fired a loose ball beyond McGinley for his second of the match.

Any hopes Peebles had of getting back into the match disappeared within 60 seconds as Shippy fullback O’Donnell produced a tremendous block to deny a goal before sub Donovan Ndiweni received two quickfire yellow cards.

Substitute Reece Brown rounded off the scoring as the game moved into added time when he gathered a long clearance from Adamson, drove inside his marker and smashed the ball past McGinley.

From then on, Rovers had little hope of pulling anything back. Attention now turns to Saturday’s match against Eyemouth United at home. Kick-off is 2:30pm

Peebles: B McGinley, J Dodds, C Smith, F Arthur, J Mackay, R Sterricks, G Lamb, R Lamb, A McMath, S Sutherland, D Lindsay.

Subs: R Renwick, S Schulz-Keith, D Ndiweni,

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *