Depleted Rovers Defiant in Defeat

Hill of Beath Hawthorn 4 Peebles Rovers 0

Rovers’ winning run came to an end at the weekend but Colin Smith’s side still put in a battling performance against one the league’s big-hitters. With the squad depleted by a mixture of injury, suspension and holidays, an already though away fixture was made even harder. Ben Brown’s absence at the back meant Gregor Lamb had to be deployed as a centre back for the first time but he shone throughout in his unfamiliar surroundings as the whole team worked tirelessly to keep The Haws at bay.

As early as the third minutes, Hill of Beath showed their menace but a lob over the advancing Tom Kerr narrowly missed the far post. With Rovers’ resources already stretched, Jon Davidson was added to the injury list as he pulled up with a hamstring injury inside ten minutes and was replaced by Jamie MacKay which meant another reshuffle on the park.

It wasn’t all one way in the early stages though and Ross Lamb was unlucky to see his rifled 25 yard shot just miss the left hand post. This spurred the home side on though and after a period of pressure, they took the lead in the 25th minute as Lewis elder pounced on a rebound after Kerr had saved the initial shot. Nine minutes later, the lead was doubled when Callum Adamson was left unmarked at the back post to easily convert Greig Smith’s cross. Just before half time, another Rovers injury saw Mikey McEwan limp off.

Hill of Beath came out on the front foot at the start of the second half and after a fine save from Kerr low to his left, the resulting corner saw Lee Reid convert with a close range header. David Lindsay tried his luck from range in a rare Rovers attack but the keeper saved comfortably. The game was put totally out of reach just before the hour mark as Peebles lost possession in the middle of the park and Smith took full advantage to power home the goal of the match.

Shortly after, Cammy Sclater saw a straight red card for what was deemed serious foul play, a decision which baffled both sets of players and supporters and it was a backs to the wall effort from here on in. Kerr and Alan McMath combined to keep out the most dangerous looking of the Haws’ attacks then there was another bizarre red card when Ross Lamb was judged to have crossed the banter line by the referee.

As disappointing as it was to see the winning run come to an end, the effort from the players in the face of adversity pleased manger Smith and his backroom team ahead of another stiff test against Penicuik Athletic this weekend

Photographs courtesy of Kevin Marshall at Kayem Photography

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *