Lothian Thistle 7-0 Peebles Rovers


Neil Hobson

A superior Lothian side battered Rovers into submission on a tough afternoon for Ger Rossi’s side on Saturday.

Rovers arrived in Edinburgh looking to replicate the performance that saw them push the reigning champions all the way last week.

But this wasn’t to be the case, as Peebles failed to match those high standards.

The game kicked-off with an immediate assault on the Rovers’ goal. Louis Swanson was at his maniacal best: jigging and swigging with the arrogance of a top player.

The first penetrative ball proved to be lethal; a worrying taste of what was to come.

Kevin Brown danced through the Rovers defence, looking to lash the ball high into the net, with only the heroics of Michael McEwan steering the ball away.

It wasn’t to last however, and the first goal duly arrived after Jamie Devlin steered the ball past Ben McGinley on seven minutes.

Raymond Carr’s men weren’t messing about, as evidenced with the furious attacking tornado that followed.

Swanson and Devlin were gunning for a second goal, with the former knocking in a tidy ball from the left for the latter in the middle – again, it took another clearance, this time from Zavaroni, to keep Lothian out.

It was an unsuccessful endeavour, as Lothian notched again on 15 minutes: Ryan Hutchison converting from close range after another sweet cross from out wide.

Things soon went from bad to worse for Peebles after we conceded a penalty on 21 minutes after McGinley chopped down Swanson after racing out for the ball in a one-on-one.

However, McGinley went from zero to hero after pulling out a daring double save to deny Lothian a penalty; but some slack defending saw Samuel Nhamburo score a tap-in despite McGinley’s heroics.

Nhamburo was the man again on 34 minutes, speeding off, leaving the defence for dead, as he went one-on-one and came out on top with a drilled effort.

HT: 4-0

The second-half was always going to be a case of damage containment, with a definite improvement noted, however, it wasn’t enough against a relentless Lothian side.

Ryan Hutchison scored again for Lothian on 67 minutes, stabbing home from close-range.

Jamie Devlin then grabbed a second after rattling home a 25-yard free-kick on 72 minutes.

Louis Swanson then rounded off the scoring on 80 minutes after lashing the ball home from just outside the box.

It rounded off a hugely frustrating night for Rossi’s men.

Peebles: McGinley, Mackay, Brown, Newell, Sterricks, Rossi, Zavaroni, G Lamb, R Lamb, McEwan, Schulz-Keith


Subs: Cockburn, Dodds, Renwick, Fleming, Lindsay

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *