Ormiston 1-3 Peebles Rovers

The league campaign finally kicked off this weekend as Ormiston hosted the Rovers at East Mains. On what was at best a carpet and a hurricane blowing across the pitch, it was always going to be a difficult day for both sides to try and come up with any real quality.

Peebles however had settled down quicker trying to use the wind to their advantage and as Zavaroni picked up a loose ball in the middle of the park he launched a shot towards goal. Ormiston’s number one struggled to deal with the flight and the ball squeezed over the line. Rovers tried their best to play out from the back in what was becoming a near impossible mission. Link up play from Ross Lamb, Rossi and Gregor Lamb finally saw a neat run from Schulz almost go all the way. His trickery took him past three players before his strike was saved by the feet of the advancing goalkeeper. As the ball spun back in the wind it was Lindsay to nod over from close range. Two- Nil going in to half time.

As the second half got under way it was Ormiston rushing out the blocks trying to use the wind to their advantage. Straight from kick off Weldon broke free however his shot drove harmlessly wide. Rovers managing their game play extremely well could’ve went further into the lead. Sharp passing from Zavaroni, Rossi and Lindsay opened up the chance for Schulz. The big striker tried to place his shot however and the wind almost took it to Bonnyrigg. Stand in goalkeeper Yosi Bejaoui produced the save of the game after a scramble ensued in the box. The wind again causing mayhem allowed the ball to fall at Weldon’s feet who was only but 8 yards out when his stinging strike was palmed away to safety by the giant paw of Bejaoui. Zavaroni was up next as the skipper almost produced the moment of the game. Picking the ball up in his own half Zav almost broke the land speed record with the wind at his back as he ghosted past the entire Ormiston backline. His resulting effort however was lost in translation with the blustery hurricane and as the ball flew off his right foot his shot also flew wide of the target. With the game clock running down Ormiston were reduced to 10 men as a second yellow saw their man head towards the showers prematurely after a lunge on Colin Smith. Ross Lamb was then on hand shortly after to put the game firmly to bed as his powerful run and composed dink past the goalkeeper on the 90th minute looked enough to send the Peeblesshire men back down the A68 with their opening day 3 points. Ormiston to their credit refused to give up. Deep into injury time slack play on the right hand side opened up a direct through pass for Ormiston. They nipped through on goal untouched grabbing a consolation goal. As Rovers regrouped for centre the referee blew his whistle for the last time.

We caught up with Ger right after the game. “Today we asked for a reaction after last weekend and to a man we certainly got that. I felt we managed the game well in what was extremely difficult conditions for both sides. There wasn’t much product when it came to our passing game but again that was direct reflection on the surface and the small hurricane blowing across East Mains. The disappoint for myself and the boys was in the way we lost the goal so late on. It takes a little bit of the shine away from how accomplished the performance was from the team today. That being said it was a strong three points to kick start our season and we now look ahead to next weekend. We would also like to thank big Yosi for standing in as Ben was on holiday, in troublesome conditions the big mans experience came in extremely handy.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *