Peebles Rovers 4-3 Coldstream

By Neil Hobson

BLOOD had been shed, people were stretched out in agony after a torturous 90 minutes. 

This wasn’t the scene of some battlefield, although Rovers players might think differently.

In fact, it was the scene of a football pitch after two teams gave everything they had to win in a vital league match.

Rovers, who hadn’t kicked a ball since November, showed guts, character, strength and desire as they snatched all three points in dramatic fashion.

Scarcely has Whitestone served up a more thrilling match, with both teams going head-to-head with the intensity of two champion boxers.

Inside the first minute, McMath tore off down the left – looking to play in an advancing Zavaroni. His cross found the captain, but saw it fly over the bar.

The next seven minutes were simply insane, both teams wiring into each other as they desperately battled for the opening goal.

The tide soon turned in the Streamers’ favour, Kieran Lee tucking home the first goal of the game from close-range to make it 1-0 after eight minutes.

As expected, Coldstream grew in confidence and looked to deliver the killing blow with a rapid second goal.

Colin Smith had to be on his toes as he moved across to disarm Coldstream wide-man Gary Windram, who stormed down the left.

McMath, so often the hero for Rovers this season, could very well write his name into Peebles folklore at his current rate.

On the back of an outrageously good ball from Michael McEwan: Speedy went one-on-one with former Rover, Jamie Shiel, and tucked the ball away.

When Coldstream equalised just minutes later, it was a fitting metaphor for how chaotic it was at times.

Things soon took a turn for the worse after Ben Brown limped off, replaced by Ross Forrest – a scene that would become all too familiar for Rovers.

Things soon balanced out though as Rovers pulled the game back again, this time through McEwan who lashed the ball high into the net on 36 minutes.

HT: 2-2

The second-half was more of the same, all throttle – but little in the way of braking.

Kris Dixon popped up once more to blast Coldstream into the lead, any hopes of a bright start to the second 45 quickly quashed.

Rovers knew there was no going back now, so, burst into life with all guns blazing.

Controversy sparked on 56 minutes after Rovers claimed they had scored in a goalmouth tangle. McMath and McEwan were battering the life out of the woodwork, and screamed for the goal – to no avail.

Fortunately, Rovers had a little luck and it didn’t take long for Rossi’s men to battle back.

Despite being one of the smallest players on the park, McMath showed he had the biggest heart as he leaped like a salmon in the Tweed to head home a Schulz-Keith corner.

Rovers were then gifted with a golden opportunity to finish Coldstream off as McMath won a penalty after being fouled in the box.

David Lindsay stepped up to swing the axe, but saw his effort bounce off the woodwork to be cleared away by Coldstream.

The battle raged on, but was soon brought to an almighty conclusion as McMath powered home another header to make it 4-3.

Simply oustanding, well done to the whole team.

Peebles: McGinley, Dodds, Brown, C Smith, J Smith, Rossi, McMath, Zavaroni, Renwick, Schulz-Keith, McEwan

Subs: Mackay, Lindsay, G Lamb, Forrest





Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *