Match Report: Peebles Rovers vs Eyemouth Utd

Peebles Rovers: 1 (Renwick, 44′)

Eyemouth Utd: 2 (Lauder, 37′) (Gillan, 83′)

Peebles Rovers fell to defeat at Whitestone Park this afternoon, with Eyemouth Utd winning 2-1.

Despite a magnificent first half performance, it was the Fisherman who left Tweeddale with three points- courtesy of goals from Aidan Lauder and Micky Gillan.

Ger Rossi made four changes to the side that lost to Tweedmouth Rangers, with Ross Forrest, Jason Newell, Jamie Mackay  and Michael Cockburn dropping to the bench in favour of Robbie Renwick, Saul Schulz-Keith, James Runciman and Robert Sterricks

David Lindsay and Alan McMath sat out through injury, whilst James Dodds had an enforced spell on the side-lines due to suspension.

Rovers had the first half-chance on 7 minutes, with Schulz-Keith jetting off on a mazy run. The wide man linked up with Lee Zavaroni, with the skipper dancing away down the left before placing a shot that drifted wide of Adam Mutch’s right-hand post.

In a first-half where Peebles enjoyed large swathes of possession, Rovers had to wait until 17 minutes in for their next clear-cut chance.

Ross Lamb was the it’s architect, as he pinged a sensational ball to James Runciman on the right, who sneaked in at the back-post and nearly powered home a glorious header, had it not been for a swift save from Mutch.

Eyemouth, however, certainly weren’t toothless in attack as Aidan Lauder hovered menacingly around the box- and very nearly broke through on 21 minutes had it not been for a timely tackle from Colin Smith.

The woodwork came to Eyemouth’s rescue on 25 minutes after Robbie Renwick darted through twice and tried his luck with close-range efforts- but was ultimately thwarted by the posts.

Totally against the run of play, the visitors bagged the first goal on 37 minutes after Gillan played a ball from the left across the face of goal; a ball that Lauder gleefully gobbled up before firing past a helpless Ben McGinley.

Such misery wasn’t to last however, and it took just 7 minutes before Robbie Renwick cut inside on the right-hand side and powered home a low-drive to secure an equaliser going into half-time.

HT: 1-1

The second half was to degenerate into something of a scrappy affair, with both teams locked in a fierce battle.

Lee Zavaroni was unlucky to see his shot from just outside the box blocked, something which was to waylay Rovers in their quest to find a winner.

The Lamb brothers were at their efficient best in midfield, as they combined well to ping a delightful ball forward that was snapped up by Schulz-Keith, but the attack was killed off by a powerful challenge from Sword.

But, as the game went on, heartbreak hit Rovers like a ton of bricks on 83 minutes. A long range effort from Aidan Lauder smacked the crossbar and bounced directly into the stormy sea that was the Peebles box.

After numerous attempts to clear and finish, it was Mickey Gillan who got a foot to the ball and prodded it home to clinch the win.

Peebles: McGinley, Runciman, Brown, Smith, Sterricks, Rossi, G. Lamb, R. Lamb, Schulz-Keith, Renwick, Zavaroni

Subs: Mackay, Newell, Forrest, Cockburn



Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *