Peebles Rovers vs Heriot-Watt: Match Report

Peebles banished the spectre of defeat at Whitestone Park, following a hard-fought goalless draw with Heriot-Watt. The Rovers were indisputably the better side throughout the 90 minutes. But, once again, an infuriating inability to finish chances was our undoing as we took a point off the high-flying Heriot-Watt team.

The students strolled into town with the impressive record of 4 wins from their opening 5 fixtures, a statistic that on any other day would undoubtedly have caused concern among the young Rovers squad.

But, football isn’t played on paper and a defiant Rovers team set out to prove the doubters wrong. The game kicked-off with a bang for Peebles; with barely two minutes registered on the referee’s watch, Ben Brown played a sublime long-ball to Scott Inglis, who latched onto it without hesitation and quickly dashed off on a menacing run.

His charge was killed in it’s infancy by Watt ‘keeper, Craig Saunders, who rushed out to smother the ball, but it was a majestic reminder of the explosive firepower at the Rover’s disposal.

The red and white onslaught continued with some lovely attacking play,which was orchestrated by wide-man, Saul Schulz-Keith, who darted down his flank and supplied a ball that practically gift-wrapped.

This was a gift that was gladly accepted, as the former Peebles Ams man scooped up the ball and charged Saunders once-more, only once again to see his run halted, this time by Adam Woolven.

Watt were not without their moments however, as they keenly demonstrated on 17 minutes as Elliot Sutherland raced down the left flank, looking to hit Peebles with a nasty punch with some devastating counter-attacking football.

But, the ever-reliable figure of Ben McGinley was on hand to push away a rather tame shot.

In truth, this was one of few first-half chances that came Watt’s way, and McGinley was almost as much a spectator as those in the stand.

The second-half transpired to be a wholly different story, with Watt growing into the game, gradually providing a half that was far more action-orientated than it’s predecessor.

The students quickly made their intentions clear, as some impressive link-up play between Elliott Sutherland and Anton Dowds saw the production of a thumping shot that required a finger-tips save from McGinley to keep their score-sheet blank.

Peebles undoubtedly came the closest however, as Inglis saw two shots from just outside the box crash off the woodwork within ten minutes of each other.

But, this was to be another day where those goals simply didn’t materialize. But, once again, Rossi’s Rovers showed off their ability to play some great football, an endeavor that saw them rewarded with a point.

Peebles: McGinley, Runciman, Brown, Robertson, Cockburn, Zavaroni, Lindsay, Smith, Schulz-Keith, Rossi, Inglis

Subs: Marshall, Ndiweni, Glass

Man of the Match: Ben Brown






Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *