Rovers Revenge – Peebles Rovers 2 Dunipace 1

Peebles Rovers and Dunipace locked horns in cup action for the second time in a fortnight but this time the home side came out on top as two late goals saw them through to the third round of the South Region Challenge Cup.

It was a bright start from Rovers who could have been two goals up inside the first 10 minutes. First, David Lindsay played a neat 1-2 with Ross Lamb but his shot was well saved by Allan. Lamb was supplier again shortly afterwards as his curling free kick found Mikey McEwan unmarked, but he couldn’t quite connect with his header from 6 yards.

Dunipace settled after those early scares but although their passing and movement caused problems, just like the previous meeting they struggled with their final ball. Ben Brown and Alan McMath were solid as a central defensive partnership and Jon Davidson again looked composed sitting in front of the back four. That forced Dunipace to try their luck from long range and on the couple of occasions they did find a way through, they found Tom Kerr in the Rovers goal equal to the task.

Rovers did manage a break away midway through the half as McEwan laid the ball off to Gregor Lamb who cut inside his marker but his curling effort from 25 yards came crashing off the bar. Shortly after, Dunipace punished the home side for their one piece of slack defending of the afternoon. After failing to close down the danger inside the penalty area, Dryden’s low shot from 14 yards put the visitors ahead.

Second half chances were again few and far between but Dunipace almost doubled their lead five minutes after the break when Moulangou rounded the advancing Kerr but a fantastic last gasp block from McMath prevented a goal. Rovers closing down was better after the break with Cammy Sclater, Ross Lamb and Davidson all putting in a hard shift while Gregor Lamb and David Lindsay in the wider roles worked hard to stifle Dunipace’s dangerous wingers.

Goalmouth action was even more rare in the second period although Ben Gettel was unlucky not to connect with another Lamb free kick at the back post.
As the clock ticked down, Rovers looked to be on their way out of the cup until a double substitution turned the game on its head. First, Jamie MacKay tapped in from close range with three minutes remaining after Allan in the Dunipace goal failed to deal with pressure from Sclater. As extra time loomed, MacKay turned provider as he slipped a perfectly weighted pass to Robert Sterricks who placed the ball under the advancing Kane to send the home fans wild and Rovers into the next round.

Peebles Rovers: Tom Kerr, Callum MacKenzie, Ben Brown, Alan McMath, Ben Gettel, Jon Davidson, David Lindsay, Ross Lamb, Cammy Sclater, Gregor Lamb and Mikey McEwan. Subs: Jamie MacKay, Robert Sterricks, James Dodds and Lee Zavaroni.

Start a Conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *