Eyemouth Utd vs Peebles Rovers

Eyemouth Utd vs Peebles Rovers

Rovers turned up to Eyemouth looking to grab all three points despite a selection headache for manager Ger Rossi. With over six first-team players missing through holidays and injury, Rossi was facing enough problems as it was without the possibility of Ben McGinley being unable to play, with the stopper unable to train all week due to injury.

The game kicked off in a fairly even manner, the two teams two’d and fro’d between attack and defense. Peebles had the first chance of the game through Schulz-Keith who saw his shot narrowly sail over the bar.

However, with just ten minutes on the clock, Peebles found themselves behind following a hugely controversial call from the ref. Michael Cockburn was hauled down outside his own 18 yard line, with many of the Peebles team stopping in anticipation of a free-kick. But, no whistle came, and Eyemouth surged up the park before Andrew Sword bundled the ball past McGinley.

Dodds was then booked for dissent before Lewis Marshall was handed his marching orders for arguing with the referee.

What followed was an extraordinary 10 minute spell that saw Peebles equalise, concede again and then lose Ben McGinley to injury.

Schulz-Keith, who had been a threat all game, rushed through following a delightful ball from Colin Smith. He left his marker for dead before smashing his shot home to send a sizable Peebles support into frenzied celebrations.

But, just as things were looking up, McGinley was forced off through ligament damage after being clattered into on his own goal-line, and is now expected to be out for a long period on the sidelines. With no sub ‘keeper, Chris Robertson was forced to go in between the posts.

In the second half, Peebles looked a far dangerous side. Scott Sutherland wasted no time in his return to the startng XI, and put the Rovers into the lead after just 50 minutes following a delightful looping header that the opposition goalkeeper had no chance of saving.

Although Eyemouth had a man advantage, they struggled to break Peebles down, and with Robertson and the back four commanding everything in front of them, it was hard to see where the goals would come from.

But, agonizingly for the young side, it was two tremendous long range strikes that secured the victory for the home team. A sublime 20-yard strike from Sean Campbell pulled the Fisherman back level. And, even though another free-kick was debatably given in the last few minutes, James Wilson’s sensational 30-yard strike was not.

The 30-yard effort was smashed into the stanchion of the net which was effectively the last chance in a game littered with talking points. But, plenty of positives again for the Whitestone Park side, and an indicator that results are not far away.